Carne Asada Colombiana
In Colombia, carne asada, marinated grilled beef, is a beloved staple. This traditional Carne Asada marinade is made with orange juice, garlic, spices, and beer. Here we slather a white corn Arepas with creamy guacamole and top it with a simple tomato salad.
Prep Time: 40 min Serves: 4
- 4 Delicias Andinas Arepas Antioqueñas Blancas
- 1 ½ lb flank steak
- ¼ cup grapeseed oil
- 1 bottle of Colombian Beer (any pale golden ale will do)
- ½ cup orange juice, freshly squeezed
- ½ cup of lime juice, freshly squeezed
- 6 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Add all of the ingredients except for the flank steak to a mixing bowl, stir to combine. Add the steak to a ziplock bag or airtight container and pour over the marinade. Seal and refrigerate for a few hours or overnight.
- Remove the steak from the marinade and pat dry with paper towels. Let the steak come to room temperature.
- Heat the grill to medium-high and lightly oil the grill grates. Grill for 5-7 minutes on each side until medium-rare. (Note: adjust the cooking time according to your desired doneness)
- Let the steak rest for 5-10 minutes before serving. Thinly slice and set aside.
- 2 ripe avocados
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 tablespoons sweet white onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 3 tablespoons water
- Kosher salt to taste
- 1 head romaine lettuce, sliced
- 1-pint cherry tomatoes halved
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons cilantro leaves, stems removed
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Right before serving, add the shredded lettuce, sliced tomatoes, scallion, and cilantro to a bowl. Add the lime juice and olive oil, season to taste with salt and pepper. Toss to combine.
- Prepare the Arepas according to package instructions. Top the warm Arepa with a spoonful of guacamole, thinly sliced carne asada, and tomato salad. Enjoy immediately.